Art Exhibit Opens from Satswarupa Das Goswami’s Paintings

By ISKCON News on March 17, 2016

One of Satsvarupa Goswami's paintings
Shippensburg Arts Programming and Education (SHAPE), which is based in Pennsylvania, USA has announced a truly unique show for the month of April.

ISKCON-guru Satsvarupa Das Goswami has been painting since the 1990’s. As he tells it, “ … I had not heard of outsider art or art brut (a French word for ‘rough art’). I just painted for the fun of it, but with a passion and as a therapeutic release from my migraine headache syndrome.”  He continues, “I don't really consider myself as belonging to any school of art. I wasn’t imitating anyone. I wasn’t copying Dubuffet or Picasso. I was my own man, painting for pleasure and pursuing my spiritual path by rendering pictures of Radha-Krishna, Gaura-Nitai, Vaisnavas, sadhus (holy men), and pictures of my spiritual master, Srila Prabhupada, often with a self portrait beside him.”

Satsvarupa das Goswami has lived a very interesting life, from Temple President to biographer of his spiritual master to world traveler; he now lives in seclusion in New York State with a few devoted servants, who take care of his daily needs.



Information about the exhibition: 

Title: The Art of Satsvarupa – A Hare Krishna Monk.

Place: SHAPE Gallery  (Shippensburg Arts Programming & Education)

Address: 19 East King Street, Shippensburg, PA, USA

Dates: April 1 through April 28, 2016

Opening Reception: April 1, 2016 from 6-8 pm

Gallery Hours: Wednesday-Friday 4-7 pm; Saturday 10 am-4 pm